Impact of Lifestyle on Health | How to Make Healthy Lifestyle for Good Health
Lifestyle has direct impact on our health and everyone must know how to make healthy lifestyle for good health. It is the mannerism of living followed by people, groups, and nations in specific environmental, economic, political, cultural, and religious contexts. It refers to the characteristics of the people of a region in a particular time and place. It encompasses the everyday behaviors and functions of individuals in terms of work, activities, enjoyment, and diet.
Today, millions of people follow unhealthy lifestyles. This leads to illness, disability and even death. Unhealthy lifestyle causes problems like metabolic diseases, joint and skeletal problems, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, obesity, violence and many. The relationship between lifestyle and health should definitely be taken into consideration. Nowadays, great changes have taken place in everyone's life. Malnutrition, unhealthy diet, smoking, alcohol consumption, drug abuse, stress and so on are the manifestations of harmful lifestyle which has direct impact to our health, which are used as the prevailing form of lifestyle. Moreover, people are facing new challenges. For example, new technologies such as the Internet and virtual communication networks ( IT ) are leading our world to a great challenge that threatens the physical and mental health of individuals. The overuse and misuse of technology is the major challenge.
9 lifestyle variables that influence health can be categorized into
1) Diet and Body Mass Index (BMI): Diet is the biggest factor in one’s lifestyle and has a direct impact on health. Unhealthy diet and its consequences like obesity are the common health problem in today’s urban societies. Unhealthy lifestyle can be measured by BMI. Consumption of fast food and poor quality food leads to problems like cardiovascular diseases. There are multiple healthy snacks options are available in market which are perfect for mid meals.
2) Exercise: To treat common health problems, exercise is part of the lifestyle. Continuous exercise along with a nutritious diet results in good health. Some studies emphasize the link between an active healthy lifestyle and happiness.
3) Sleep: One of the foundations of healthy living is proper sleep. Sleep cannot be separated from life. Sleep disorders lead to several social, psychological, economic and health consequences. Unhealthy lifestyle can affect sleep and sleep has a significant impact on physical and mental health.
4) Sexual behavior: A normal sexual relationship is essential for a healthy lifestyle. A dysfunctional sexual relationship is the problem of most societies and has a great impact on mental and physical health. Moreover, dysfunctional sexual relationship or uncontrolled masturbation can lead to several family problems or sex related diseases like AIDS.
5) Substance abuse: Any kind of addiction is considered as an unhealthy lifestyle. Smoking and using other substances can be a cause of various problems such as cardiovascular disease, asthma, cancer, brain injury.
6) Medication abuse: The use of medications is widespread among people and it is not a good sign of a healthy lifestyle. Self-treatment, sharing medicines, taking medicines without prescription, prescribing too many medicines, prescribing a large number of each medicines, unnecessary medicines, poor handwriting in prescribing, ignoring the conflicting medicines, ignoring the harmful effects of medicines, not explaining the effects of medicines are some of the unhealthy behaviors of taking medications.
7) Application of modern technologies: Modern technology makes people's lives easier. Misuse of technology can lead to unpleasant consequences. For example, using computers and other devices until midnight can affect one’s sleep patterns and disrupt sleep. Addiction to using a cell phone is associated with depression symptoms.
8) Recreation: Recreation is very important in one’s life and it builds good and happy mood. Leisure pass time is considered as a sub factor of lifestyle and ignoring it for a long time can bring negative consequences in one’s life. With an unplanned and unhealthy leisure, we may end up endangering our health.
9) Study: Study is the exercise of mind and soul. It should be a part of one’s lifestyle since placing study as a factor in lifestyle may lead to more active physical and mental health. For instance, occurrence of dementia, such as Alzheimer's disease is lower in educated people. Study could slow the process of dementia.
Considering the above mentioned factors, we can lead a healthy lifestyle. However, each factor requires a systematic planning in micro and macro level to lead a social and individual healthy lifestyle. If this article added value to your knowledge then please like and share this article and comment below for any suggestions. If you are a health freak person then please visit the health section of Whatsup Guru.